An air supply system encompasses the production of compressed air by means of compressors and air preparation. The end result is the supply of the specified amount of compressed air of the quality required.
Compressed air is the energy source for the basic functions of a railway train. As well as operating the brakes, it is also used to open the doors, powering the air suspension, the sanding unit as well as to raise the pantographs and powering the windscreen wipers.
The trend towards more compact, lighter vehicles with increasing levels of safety and performance provides, today, an additional challenge for every manufacturer. For these reasons, a reliable supply of compressed air calls for innovative concepts. Knorr-Bremse is confronting this challenge and offers a tailor made system for every air supply requirement. By reducing the number of interfaces, significant reductions in assembly and disassembly times can be achieved. Due to the great reliability of the integrated system, the availability for use of the entire train system is increased.
Knorr-Bremse supplies the complete product range from the ancillary compressor unit right up to heavy locomotive systems.
All are specially developed and tested for use in rail vehicles.
- Piston or screw type
- Oil-free compressors
- Modular compact sub-systems
- Low life-cycle costs
- Delivering low noise and vibration levels
- Single and double chamber systems for clean, dry air
- Increased safety and performance of the whole braking system
- Reliable, even in extreme temperatures
- Integration in compact rack systems possible
- Simplified installation and maintenance
- Capsuled and sound insulated for underfloor installation
- Pressure switches
- Condensate collector units
- Oil filters
- Safety valves